Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Joining The Center for Bioethics & Culture's Board of Directors

As I mentioned before, one of the benefits of my downtime has been meeting good people (yes, i'm from chicago and not the south). One of them was Jennifer Lahl, Founder & National Director of The Center for Bioethics & Culture. I've read her articles at AlwaysOn over the past couple years, but we had a chance to meet up about a month ago. She was passionate about her work, energetic and a good-hearted person. So when she asked if I was interested in joining their board of directors, it was something that I really looked forward to researching and deliberating on. It didn't take long for me to accept Jennifer's gracious invitation. I'm looking forward to serving on their board. Very cool and exciting topics and issues that I will learn about in the coming years.

I know most of the readers of this blog primarily visit for my tech related posts, and deal with my political slants but I hope you will check out The Center for Bioethic & Culture's website or their blog, "the Human Future." More about the CBC:

CBC is about shedding light on the bioethics issues within our culture that most profoundly affect our humanity -- especially among the most vulnerable. We are increasingly aware that to accomplish this we need to challenge those who influence our culture to advance a morally responsible science that respects the inherent value of humanity and that celebrates its beauty and complexity.

The CBC Challenges:

- Science and medicine do not always apply a human-life-affirming set of standards to their work.

- The public at large is generally blind to the long-term risks of this lack of moral anchor in biotechnical fields.

- The strong trend in science and medicine is toward the utilitarian commoditization of life which undermines the dignity of all human life.

- Not all scientific progress is truly human progress.

Scientific progress is too often presented as truly human progress, without question. Clearly this is no longer the case as it once was; CBC seeks to define truly human progress.

The CBC Mission:

The CBC exists to collaborate in providing resources and a public forum to: educate our culture about the impact of biotechnologies, engage in dialogue about what it means to be human, and to challenge those who influence our culture to use science that is grounded in moral responsibility.

Advancing a culture where biotechnology truly serves a human future.



Also a great post from their blog here...

"Dr. Shinya Yamanaka on Embryos and Little Girls"

Dr. Yamanaka said this, “When I saw the embryo, I suddenly realized there was such a small difference between it and my daughters.”

No comments: