Thursday, May 15, 2008

Twitter, Tina Fey, and the Future of Micro-Blogging

My op-ed at Mashable went up today. It's a light piece that I had fun with. Thanks to Jill for editing and TechCrunch's Mark Hendrickson, who provided his feedback. Check it out!

Twitter, Tina Fey, and the Future of Micro-Blogging


When the sitcom “30 Rock” began its run, some of my friends weren’t wild about Tina Fey, the show’s star and creator, saying she should “stay in the writer’s room” or that she “looked too mousy.” A few months later, however, those same guys were talking about how hot she was. Fey has since become a mainstream darling. Twitter is Web 2.0’s Tina Fey. Not so attractive initially, Twitter got better the more you looked at it. Case in point: Although I tested Twitter as soon as it launched, I eventually ended up sitting on my account because I wasn’t enamored by early adopters and Silicon Valley geeks listening to each other talk. Today, that situation has changed: While the echo chamber still exists, Twitter seems to be reaching a critical mass that will push it into the mainstream... (full op-ed)


UPDATE: From Compete's blog, "Twitter Traffic Explosion: Who’s behind it all?"

VentureBeat's MG Siegler has a related post, "Mainstream imminent? Twitter traffic almost doubled from February to April." I wonder where the idea for these posts came from? :) Probably coincidence.

UPDATE II: Learning 2.0 has a response and more thoughts here.

No comments: