Thursday, September 1, 2005

TECHNORATI BURNING

I wrote my complaints about Technorati a few weeks ago and the problems still persist. Here are some more recent complaints from Jason Kottke and Jason Calacanis:

So long, Technorati


That's it. I've had it. No more Technorati. I've used the site for, what, a couple of years now to keep track of what people were saying about posts on kottke.org and searching blogs for keywords or current events. During that time, it's been down at least a quarter of the time (although it's been better recently), results are often unavailable for queries with large result sets (i.e. this is only going to become a bigger problem as time goes on), and most of the rest of the time it's slow as molasses.

When it does return results in a timely fashion for links to kottke.org, the results often include old links that I've seen before in the results set, sometimes from months ago. And that's to say nothing of the links Technorati doesn't even display. The "kottke.org" smart list in my newsreader picks up stuff that Technorati never seems to get, and that's only pulling results from the ~200 blogs I read, most of which are not what you'd call obscure. What good is keeping track of 14 million blogs if you're missing 200 well-known ones? (And trackbacks perform even better...this post got 159 trackbacks but only 93 sites linking to it on Technorati.) (full post)

Technorati Worthless

I’ve been complaining about how worthless the results from Technorati are for the past six months (at least). Now Jason Kottke has kicked out Technorati, and Fred Wilson has done the same.

Amazing how quickly the mighty have fallen. At a conference last year half the screen in the audience seemed to be on Technorati. Now, I do my canned technorati searches and I see nothing but items from a year ago and spam. Ugh. (full post)


Calacanis suggests IceRocket as an alternative, but I believe there is a bit of bias there since that's a company Mark Cuban invested in along with Weblogs, Inc. As I posted before, check out PubSub and BlogPulse too.

No comments: