Thursday, December 2, 2004

RESPONSES TO MY OP-ED
Brief Comments on Creationism and The Theory of Evolution


It's been fun and interesting reading emails and response around the blogosphere over the past couple days. Some hate emails, sarcastic comments, praise, and words of encouragement.

There is a good discussion string at AlwaysOn, a leading tech community blog. Here's one of my posts:

I believe you're missing the main focus of Creationism. It isn't about the age of the earth. I could care less if the earth was 5,000 or 5 billion years old. It is about the idea that the universe was not created by chance, and that God had a close hand it the process. While Determinist like Stephen Hawking might not agree, others from his field cannot imagine the process without God in it.

Albert Einstein, while not believing in a personal god, concluded through his years of research that the universe could not have been created by chance or from chaos:

"I want to know how God created this world, I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details."

Freeman Dyson, father of Esther Dyson, is "one of the outstanding physicists of our time" and has "written extensively on the meaning of science and its relation to other disciplines, especially religion and ethics." While I don't know the details of his faith, he stands on the side of God's involvement in creation process. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/112/32.0.html)

There is another world-class physicist, John Polkinghorne, who became an Anglican priest, who is a strong Creationist. South Korea's leading materials scientist, Younggil Kim, who invented alloys Motorola uses in their chips, is also the country's most outspoken Creationist.

The idea that our universe was created by some random event and life came from a chaotic mass of gases are unthinkable for these people. Even in numerous experiments attempting to see if some complex structures could be formed from a ball of gas only resulted in simple sugars.

I did not grow up in a Christian home and came from a Buddhist background. I did not become Christian through some emotion event, but through an intellectual journey. I questioned everything and wanted proof. I studied Creationism and evolution for a year, and concluded that both needed faith. The Theory of Evolution is still a theory. There has been no proof of species jumping, and the most recent hope I read about were some monkeys down in South America.

I would challenge you to explore some of the other side too.


Here's a letter to the editor response in The Boston Globe, "A lesson for the religious right."

A funny post here by a slightly wacky guy in Minnesota, eh, "But what did the fluvial geomorphologist think?"

I just read possibly the most incomprehensible op-ed piece ever in the Boston Globe, A lesson for the liberal elite. I don’t know how to describe it other than to say just read it for yourself. (incomprehensible op-ed piece ever? cool.)

I found it so confusing and so “odd” in its defense of Christianity that I googled the author, Bernard Moon. Thanks to Google and Bernie’s blog, I now know him as Moon Byungkee from Seoul. (eh? i'm from chicago. i was born in seoul and that's my korean name. too much ice fishing... head first? aye?)

I don’t want to read too much into his name... (what's there to read? bernard moon.)
.....
Mr. Moon reminds me that intelligence and education do not automatically confer the ability to think consistently. (wha? you really don't get out much, huh? or have friends beyond your small world? my views are very consistenly with people like billy graham, c.s. lewis, and other mainstream christians.)

A rambling post at The Mahablog.

Another string of posts here... Christian leaning.

No comments: