Wednesday, October 13, 2004

"THE APPRENTICE" COMMENTARY... WARPED SELF-VIEWS
Other Stories About People Who Just Don't Get It... Heh? Wha??


I'm not big on this reality TV craze, but "The Apprentice" has captured my attention. Since I was in Asia, I missed last year's run, but this year I've seen almost every show. The past two episodes where Jennifer C. and Pamela got fired showed me how some people lack the power of self-reflection and have a failure to see how others see them.

Jennifer C. was a classic example of a leader that commands without action, so respect and admiration is never built up. It seemed that she didn't want to get her hands dirty. During the show, she was a poor leader who didn't listen to her team, failed to take responsibility, and sought out excuses besides herself. I was cracking me up when she actually blamed "those two old Jewish bat ladies" for the poor reviews instead of reflecting on what her team could have done better. Jennifer narrowing her vision instead of widening her lense revealed to me that she would never be a solid leader destinied for bigger and better things. She should definitely stick with selling real estate in New York.

During the board meeting, Trump told her that everyone on her team hates her but I don't think she believed him or accepted it. Even during the taxi ride out, she still blamed others besides herself. Unbelievable. At least take some blame or see your weaknesses. Maybe she has a fragile level of self-confidence, so she couldn't admit her faults? Maybe she grew up with a fair amount of people not liking her, so to protect her ego she has always blocked out criticisms against her to prevent nervous breakdowns? I really don't know, but I do know that she is destined for mediocrity.

Pamela seemed to be a very capable person, but lacked the interpersonal skills to succeed outside of the finance community. She is tough, intelligent, abrasive, and lacked tact. Great qualities for investment banking, but bad for almost everything else. My friends in investment banking generally say one in five managers (e.g. VPs, Directors, Managing Directors) are asshole types (e.g. highly critical, like to blame someone in all situations even if lightening strikes a tree, likes to take all the credit on deals and doesn't recognize other people's effort, makes a big deal over minor situations and then paints him or herself as the savior, etc.), and I believe Pamela was one of those. She probably executes well and gets the job done, but leaves at least half her team pissed off at her and maybe some clients as well.

She was okay as a manager in Episode 5, but as a leader she was horrible. Pamela should have learned somewhere in her career not to talk down to people and cut them off in mid-sentence. Her arrogance was her undoing. In the board room, she didn't admit to defeat which I'm sure was an immediate turn off for people and she couldn't take any responsibility for the loss. Horrible self-reflection and attitude towards people. Telltale sign is her biography where she states she has an "off the wall sense of humor helps keep things light when the need arises." What? Off the wall humor like her comment on "who cut that kid's hair?" in Episode 1?? Whatever. I'm guessing she is a person with only a couple close friends, who she will soon get together with and talk about how she was a victim of backroom political activity. I'm sure she will do well financially, but not so well in the happiness department.

OTHER STORIES
A couple weekends ago my friend was visiting his hometown and saw a person he grew up with at church. This guy had become a successful professional in the finance industry and I always knew he would do well. His only limitations were his lack of social grace and skills. He has the intellect and drive, but is very awkward.

He was chatting with my friend after Sunday service and asked how teaching was going. My friend told him that he left teaching and was acting on Broadway. After receiving more details on my friend's success, he emphatically asked my friend to keep in touch. My friend told me that he was totally turned off by this shallow gesture.

"What was that? When he thought I was a lowly high school teacher, he didn't want to keep in touch but after he found out I was a Broadway actor he does? Whatever..."

A few years ago in Korea, my good friend met this media executive from the U.S. and he told me that he totally brushed him off during an initial meeting. After the guy found out my friend was related to a chaebol (Korean conglomerate) he was potentially doing business with, he changed his attitude and was basically kissing my friend's ass. My friend was completely annoyed and rightfully questioned his character and integrity.

I guess the lesson learned from these situations is to be genuinely nice to all people without judgment, and to show interest in them beyond your selfish needs. Makes me wonder though if you are like the people stated above, how possible is change and how can they change? Once selfish always selfish? Once a bastard always a bastard?

No comments: