Thursday, July 15, 2004

BRIEF NOTE FROM ALWAYSON CONFERENCE

I haven't been able to blog since I've been at this conference and then visiting friends during the evenings, but it's been pretty cool so far. Michael Powell, FCC Chairman, was great and yesterday's session "Wireless War: What Technologies Will Win?" was good.

Also Tuesday evening Tony Perkins presented awards for various technology companies:

Friendster and AuctionDrop are sharing the "Consumer Technology Company of the Year" award, MySQL won the AO "Business-to-Business Company of the Year" award, and Yahoo won the "Top Innovation Award" for its post-bubble strategic and market performance.

AuctionDrop was an interesting company to me since I unknowingly came across it at a UPS Store a few weeks ago. I saw one of their forms and thought it was a service of eBay. Little did I know that it was a wholly separate business based on eBay's incredible impact on our society. You basically drop the items you want to sell on eBay at a UPS Store and AuctionDrop will take care of everything (e.g. marketing and selling the items, taking photos, answering questions and making the shipment after sale). They started from five stores in the Bay Area to a nationwide deal with UPS' 3,000+ stores.

I might use this service now instead of dealing with sorting through and categorizing all my baseball cards and comics I wanted to sell.

No comments: