Sunday, May 9, 2004

JAPAN LEADING AGAIN IN WIRELESS SERVICES... I THINK

I'm not sure exactly what GPS services this writer was referring to and if they are generating a significant amount of revenue for the Japanese wireless carriers or if they are at least experiencing a high volume of usage. I know in Korea there was some traction in GPS-based services, but not a significant amount over the past couple years. There are some very practical uses that I've seen in Korea. One former colleague's wife had him put on a GPS tracking service for his phone so that she would know where he was late at night. He said he felt like a prisoner, but I think his behavior put him in his jail in the first place. :) Pretty funny. Maybe this technology will lead to a higher number of disputes between couples, higher divorce rates, or happier homes with more and more men staying at home, especially in Asia.