Monday, October 6, 2003

TIBETAN MUSHROOMS... CHANGED MY LIFE
My Increasing Belief and Acceptance of Chinese Medicine


During my high school and college years, whenever I sprained my ankle I made sure that I went to get acupuncture within a day of the incident. Latest within two days because I found out that it wasn't effective if it was not applied immediately. Normally the swelling from a badly sprained ankle would take 3-7 days of icing and resting, but with acupuncture within a day the swelling was gone. I didn't believe it healed my ankle any quicker, but simply took away the swelling and allowed me to walk around normally with comfort. I still wouldn't play on it for the typically 2-3 weeks, so that it would be fully strengthened.

When I moved out to Asia three years ago, my exposure to traditional Chinese medicine grew, especially since my father utilized it often. I've been impressed by each practitioner's knowledge of my body by simply touching various points on my body and sensing certain ailments. A respiratory condition I had for three years was cured after visting a Chinese medicine doctor in Seoul, where western medicine couldn't cure or identify it. Previously in the U.S., I visited various internal and ETN doctors but they could not even identify and therefore treat my coughing condition effectively.

An offshoot of my father's interest in Chinese medicine were Tibetan mushrooms. I think he came across these through a friend, but took a strong interest like he did with the JuiceMan during my college years. He would wake us up every morning, 6am-7am, and give us a glass full of this yogurt. These white mushrooms were placed in bowl and milk was poured into the bowl. Overnight, the milk rapidly fermented into a yogurt. Supposedly, this yogurt had preventative elements against cancer and other diseases. Obviously, I can't verify this. It also was suppose to improve your digestive tract and system. This I can testify to... 100%.

My young brother already had a very healthy digestive tract. He would take a dump 3-4 times a day. They say a person should go at least once a day. After a month or so of drinking this yogurt, my brother went 5-6 times a day. Finally after a few months, my brother complained to my father and asked if he could stop drinking it. My father complied.

For me, it didn't affect me at all for several months. I typically went 1-2 times a day, but my father thought I was unhealthy since I didn't go at regular times during the day. It even might have been a year, but towards the end of my father's yogurt phase I starting going 3-4 times a day. I think it's been over a year since I had my last glass of yogurt, but I still go regularly 3-4 times a day. So if anyone has digestive problems, I would definitely tell you to get your own stalk of Tibetan mushrooms.

No comments: