Monday, May 4, 2009

ChristianityToday and 'Joe the Plumber' Misrepresent the Christian Faith

This is embarrassing. ChristianityToday decides to post an interview with Samuel Wurzelbacher, or 'Joe the Plumber'. What transpired were idiotic statements by Joe that misrepresented the Christian faith to the general public.

First, what were the editors of ChristianityToday thinking? Maybe the question is, who are they? Are they holed up in the caves of Kentucky? Somewhere hidden in the Smokey Mountains? Have they ever lived outside the bubble of Christianity and the confined walls of a church? Maybe they are living in the catacombs of some large cathedral in NYC? Second, I don't really expect much of Joe but I have to point out his dense and narrow-minded thinking.

To clarify for some readers, I am politically moderate and conservative in my faith. I believe that the Bible is wholly inspired by God, in the deity of Christ, and in his death and resurrection. I became a "Christian" through an exercise of analysis and pretty much a cold, logical thinker in many situations. And I'm snarky like a badger :)

When I read Joe's interview, I initially thought about how ignorant he was, but my words were in reality harsher.

"What a tool. I don't believe he believes this... What a complete idiot! And what was the interviewer thinking when she included this part? That it would enhance Christianity's image? It would encourage more people to learn about Christ??"

The following is the question and answer that brought up this intense reaction from me...

In the last month, same-sex marriage has become legal in Iowa and Vermont. What do you think about same-sex marriage at a state level?

At a state level, it's up to them. I don't want it to be a federal thing. I personally still think it's wrong. People don't understand the dictionary—it's called queer. Queer means strange and unusual. It's not like a slur, like you would call a white person a honky or something like that. You know, God is pretty explicit in what we're supposed to do—what man and woman are for. Now, at the same time, we're supposed to love everybody and accept people, and preach against the sins. I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children. But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing.


Joe, "queer" is a slur. Calling you an "idiot" isn't. And you have "friends" that are homosexual? How do you define "friends" since you won't let them near your children? I really want to be friends with you, dude. And are you concerned that they will become gay through osmosis? What are your reasons for not letting "those" people near your children?

Oh, "preach against the sins" and "accept people"? Just like those "Christians" that hold up signs that say "God Hates Fags"? Yeah, that's loving them dude. I want to be part of your family with all that love. I might make it through half a day during a Chicago winter with all that warmth and agape love.

Joe, loving people that you're really friends with is easy. Try loving those that you don't know, that you're enemies with, and those that make you feel uncomfortable. Come back in a few years and try this interview again.

No comments: