Sunday, October 5, 2008

David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'

Great essay in The Village Voice by David Mamet, who is a playwright, essayist and screenwriter. He wrote plays such as "Glengarry Glen Ross" (won a Pulitzer and Tony award for this work) and did the screenplay for movies such as "Wag the Dog."

It's interesting to read about this icon of American high culture's shift to the right side :) Mamet writes:

"I began reading not only the economics of Thomas Sowell (our greatest contemporary philosopher) but Milton Friedman, Paul Johnson, and Shelby Steele, and a host of conservative writers, and found that I agreed with them: a free-market understanding of the world meshes more perfectly with my experience than that idealistic vision I called liberalism."

Yes, personally I can say that Friedman and Johnson's thinking has had such a positive effect on me.

More thoughts about this from another brilliant mind, Dinesh D'Souza.

No comments: