Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Computer History Museum 2008 Fellow Awards

Christine and I attended the Computer History Museum 2008 Fellow Awards event last night. I was geeking out a bit when listening to Jean Bartik's background and related stories. She was one of the first computer programmers in history. How awesome is that?

The event also honored Bob Metcalfe, inventor of Ethernet, and Linus Torvalds, who created the Linux Kernel and led the open source development of the Linux OS.

We were sitting with Christine's fellow Googlers, which was very engaging. Chris, who was sitting to the right of us, was playing with his new T-Mobile G1 (Gizmodo's review here). I have to say that it looks better in person than in pictures, but it might have been the event that was making me geek out so easily.

Seated to the left was Chuck, a Googler that taught a robotics course for Googlers. It was a volunteer effort that was initiated after so many Googlers expressed an interest robotics, so Chuck felt compelled to start a course on it. What an incredible environment for engineers. That's what I call continuing education. And "no" I'm not pluggin for my wife's company. I'm just geeking out especially since I loved BattleBots, and Chuck actually came in 2nd place a few times.

Anyway, we left a bit early since Christine was getting tired due to the pregnancy, but it was a very cool evening.

No comments: