Tuesday, March 28, 2006

BACK FROM PRINCETON AND NYC... KASCON XX

Christine and I went to Princeton University on Friday and Saturday for the 20th annual Korean American Students Conference. It's the largest annual ethnic students' conference in North America with anywhere from 400 to 1,500 students attending each year. I serve on the board of the parent organization of this conference called the Mirae Foundation. "Mirae" means future in Korean.

It's amazing that the conference has survived this long being a student run and with the limited manpower Mirae has had over the past several years. I organized KASCON VI during college and co-founded Mirae with about 8 others in 1994. We were very active in the early years, but during the boom times almost everyone took off to start a new company. I recently got back into the fold last year while my friends, Thomas and Kevin, have been holding the fort but they have reached a point where they are running on fumes. So this year was a great excuse to rally the troops and see if we can reorganize and rebuild this organization into a national organization for Korean Americans. Wait and see... a lot of hard work ahead.

We also got a chance to drop through NYC and visit my younger brother, Lenny, and his wife and newborn! I was great to see my nephew, Matthew. He's definitely a very good looking kid. Not being biased or thinking all Asian babies are cute (you should see some of my friends kids). He is a calm kid and great to just look at. Anyway, back to work.

No comments: