Friday, December 30, 2005

Home Sweet Home... Chicago

Originally, Christine and I were suppose to go to Shanghai and Seoul after our Maui trip for the days after Christmas and to celebrate New Years. We wanted to visit my cousin Jim and his wife, Kelly, and their kids in Shanghai.  Seoul would have been great to see Christine's family and our friends.

For various reasons we came to Chicago since my parents recently moved back from Seoul for good and were readjusting to life in the U.S. They sold their business and are resting now, but I don't know how long it will be before they start another business.

Anyway, it's good to be back in my hometown. I get to see family and friends, and eat in some of the great restaurants Chicago offers. What's different about Chicago this trip for me is the fact that it's becoming a growing haven of cutting-edge entrepreneurial activity. There have always been a handful of startups here, but nothing like FeedBurner or 37Signals. These are two great examples of Chicago startups that are leading the pack in their respective spaces. FeedBurner is a leader and fan favorite of RSS feed management and metrics. 37Signals transformation from a design shop to a leading web-based application and tool company has been fun to watch. From Basecamp to their creation of Ruby on Rails, 37Signals has made a huge impact on the way online applications are designed and built. Go Chi-town! Now I gotta go eat some brats, ribs, steaks, wings,...

No comments: