Tuesday, October 11, 2005

MORE ON MIERS

The debate continues among Republicans and conservatives on Harriet Miers nomination for the Supreme Court. Since I posted on this subject before, after reading some other commentaries I did lean towards being more open-minded about her ability to serve on the Supreme Court and found her pro-business efforts appealing. Now after reading The Wall Street Journal's John Fund, I'm back to my original position of being negative on her nomination:

Miers Remorse
Conservatives are right to be skeptical.

Monday, October 10, 2005

I have changed my mind about Harriet Miers. Last Thursday, I wrote in OpinionJournal's Political Diary that "while skepticism of Ms. Miers is justified, the time is fast approaching when such expressions should be muted until the Senate hearings begin. At that point, Ms. Miers will finally be able to speak for herself."

But that was before I interviewed more than a dozen of her friends and colleagues along with political players in Texas. I came away convinced that questions about Ms. Miers should be raised now--and loudly--because she has spent her entire life avoiding giving a clear picture of herself. "She is unrevealing to the point that it's an obsession," says one of her close colleagues at her law firm.

White House aides who have worked with her for five years report she zealously advocated the president's views, but never gave any hint of her own. Indeed, when the Dallas Morning News once asked Ms. Miers to finish the sentence, "Behind my back, people say . . .," she responded, ". . . they can't figure me out." (full article)

No comments: