Tuesday, September 27, 2005

TOM EVSLIN'S BLOOK... HACKOFF.COM

Hattip to Brad Feld. I've been meaning to post about this for a while, so if you already came across Tom's new project that's cool. If not, definitely check it out. It's cutting edge stuff and something I might try down the road. More from Brad:

Tom Evslin has launched his newest project – hackoff.com. It’s a blook (an online book distributed as a blog). I’ve been watching this evolve and occassionally helping with some of the tech ideas from the sidelines. In addition to being awesome content (this is the book that every entrepreneur from 1997 – 2001 wanted to write), Tom is using (as well as inventing) lots of blog / Web 2.0 publishing technology into the experience.


Tom's post and comments on his new blook are here:

The online serialization of my novel hackoff.com: an historic murder mystery set in the Internet Bubble and rubble has begun at, of course, hackoff.com. It’s free and licensed under Creative Commons. The hard cover edition’ll be out around the beginning of the year.

The first episode of this blook (sic, see below) has been posted. CEO Larry Lazard is found dead in the offices of hackoff.com, a company which protects e-commerce sites from hackers. The cause of death is obvious; he was shot in the head with the gun which is lying next to him. Whodunit is the question? Lots of the characters you’ll meet had a motive. He could’ve even shot himself.

I set the story in the period 1999 through 2003 because it was a fascinating time which won’t repeat in the same way again. As the CEO of a company which went public during the bubble, I experienced many of the events my fictional characters experience like the roadshow for an IPO, a trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, a soaring and plunging stock price, and hostile takeover attempts. Like all of us, I watched 9/11/01 with horror and was changed by it. So I wrote about what I know about.
(full post)

No comments: