Tuesday, August 2, 2005

GOOGLE MAPS ON TREO 650... EATING CROW

Pretty cool. Download and check it out here. I recently got a Treo 650 as a birthday gift from Christine. I love it and found myself eating some of my words since I posted this last year:

Dying PDA Market?
06.02.04

Good thread from News.com on the PDA industry ("Is the PDA Dead?"). As an early PDA user, from Palm to Handspring, I loved the convenience and functionality that my PDAs provided. Everything was novel and cool. Beaming contact info into another Palm to downloading new programs to the game modules. When I moved to Asia four years ago, I found out that within that part of the world PDAs barely made a dent, especially in the the countries I lived in or visited frequently (e.g. China/Hong Kong, South Korea).
.....
I don't know about how PDAs are or will do in Europe or other markets. Anyone? But with cellphone technology and services finally catching up in the U.S., I assume the future for PDAs is very bleak now. A shrinking primary market with limited global growth in sight is not a happy future to gaze upon.

In the comments I wrote: Yeah, as long as PDAs can make the transition into the mobile phone market, but that's an uphill battle with against the giants of that industry. Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, etc. I just think it's a device that seems headed towards being a niche product instead of the ubiquitous personal assistant it was once headed for (which I once thought). Cellphones are overlapping too much with PDAs. The phones in Korea and Japan are awesome and the products you see in the U.S. are two years behind. Anyway, I guess we'll see how the market develops in the U.S. and how PDA companies respond. It will be fun. Who knows, I might buy a Treo in a few months.

No comments: