Wednesday, December 15, 2004

LIGHTEN UP TIVO... FOCUS ON THE REAL PROBLEMS AT HAND

As I wrote before, when I first saw TiVo at a trade show back in 1999 I didn't think it would last. My colleague, Peter, and I knew that the major set-top box manufacturers all had plans to have harddrives with recording functionality, so we thought it was only a matter of time since the barrier was low for all major electronics players. I will say TiVo did a great job of initiating this market DVR along with Replay, but I really do wonder how long it will last. "A company in crisis unleashes the grammar police":

The story about the TiVo grammar crackdown (which was reported yesterday both in the New York Times and on CNN) is a bit of a non-starter as far as news is concerned. The company's Web site has long included a legal page specifying that the word "TiVo" is to be used only in its adjectival sense: not "don't forget to TiVo Letterman!" but "do not forget to record The Late Show With David Letterman on the TiVo® DVR."

UPDATE: From Techdirt, "DirecTV Prepares TiVo Killer That Might Actually Kill TiVo."

No comments: