Sunday, November 14, 2004

NEW QUOTES... OLD MUSCLES

I haven't updated the notable quotes on the sidebar since August 2, so I decided to do that tonight. I'll try to go back to making it a weekly task. I take these from my list of quotes that I've collected over the years, but if you have any you would like to suggest please feel free to email it to me and I'll put it up. Inspirational, thought-provoking, or funny will do.

Yesterday I played in a flag football tournament and I was aching today. Trouble walking up stairs, bending over, and even sitting down. Two jammed fingers and a bruise on my forearm. In Korea, with some friends we played almost every weekend. 5 on 5, 7 on 7, or whatever we had... one rusher, no blockers, and everyone goes out. Great times and great stories.

In the tournament yesterday, it was a little more serious. It was 7 on 7 with two linebackers and the offense had three linemen (two ineligble and one eligble tight end). Since I only know a couple guys on this team and never played with any of them, they asked me to play linebacker instead of my preference towards being a wideout. I played the position a couple weeks ago in a scrimmage game, and enjoyed it. First, the tournament is composed primarily of Asian Americans and we're on the west coast (even Caucasians here are smaller than the corn-fed Midwest boys I grew up with), so I'm bigger than the average player. Second, I'm deceptively quick... for being in my chunky stage. My 6' 1" 220 lbs. frame can move pretty fast, so I had a good chance of getting to the QB almost every down. One game that probably wrecked me was when I went against this 280-300 lbs. fat lineman. I had to push and drive my legs hard to be effective. The challenge was fun but my arms, shoulders, and quads are killing me now. My body after I hit 30 years takes days instead of hours to recover.

No comments: