Tuesday, March 2, 2004

"CASE NOT CLOSED ON IRAQ'S WMD STOCKPILES"
Roger Simon's Commentary on Doug Hanson's Article


I was going to post just a link to this article in The American Thinker by Douglas Hanson, former Chief of Staff of the Ministry of Science and Technology in Iraq , but I liked Roger Simon's commentary and a few of his readers' posts:


Those Pesky WMDs Again
I have stated numerous times that the existence of WMDs was not my primary reason for supporting the War in Iraq. It was more like the third or fourth reason (I won't rehash everything here because I think we've all gone over this ground ad inifnitum). Nevertheless, I recognize that the failure to find them has discredited the war for others.

Still I was troubled by the Kay Report because, ignorant fool that I am, I had difficulty believing anyone could be certain of the absence of WMDs in a country the size of Iraq in such a short time. Obviously I was not alone in this skepticism. Now comes this must read post from American Thinker written by Douglas Hanson, a man who knows vastly more about the subject than I do (and that's an understatement).

Some readers' comments:

I found Libya's turkey farm storage place a good example of the difficulty in finding anything.

Unless we went house to house, dug up the entire country (remember what was buried under the rosebush, much less what was in the frig) AND if our "rush to war" didn't take as long, we might have gotten lucky.

Posted by Sandy P. @ 03/02/2004 05:46 PM PST

Haven't read either the American Thinker piece or Kenneth Pollack's piece in the ATLANTIC, yet, but apparently Pollack also rejects Kay's assertion that Saddam's scientists simply defrauded him. He says they were far too terrified of him for Kay's scenario to be plausible.

Posted by Catherine @ 03/02/2004 06:37 PM PST

No comments: