Wednesday, February 11, 2004

COLUMBIA EMBRACES ANOTHER ANTI-ISRAEL PROFESSOR
Questioning My Alma Mater's Moves


I recently came across a couple interesting blogs, The American Thinker and Kamelian X-Rays. The American Thinker, which has an excellent group of writers, posted a commentary on my old graduate school's decision to hire Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland and former UN Human Rights Commissioner. I assume part of Dean Lisa Anderson's decision to hire Mary Robinson was the raise the profile of the School of International and Public Affairs, but I wonder how much her academic background played a part and what her current political views are on Israel. I knew her expertise was in Middle East affairs but I never read any of her papers, so I wonder if her views are along the same lines as Ms. Robinson. I also don't know the extent of Mary Robinson's anti-Israel thinking and if they are fueled by anti-Semitism. If they are, it is unfortunate for Columbia University and its student body.

Lisa Anderson became dean of my old school during my second year, 1997-1998, and many students did not fully embrace her initial decisions and moves and wondered if she was the right dean for the future of the school. I don't go by first impressions, but maybe we were rightly concerned.


Columbia Embraces Another Anti-Israel Professor

Columbia University is adding yet another anti-Israel extremist to its illustrious faculty. Mary Robinson, former United Nations Human Rights Commissioner, has been hired to teach in Columbia's Department of International and Public Affairs and to serve as a senior research scholar at Columbia Law School's Human Rights Institute... (more)


No comments: