Monday, November 10, 2003

LA Bimbos... Not Talking About The Women There

As I look to move back to the U.S. after my 3 year stint in Asia, I'm open to almost every major city in the U.S. On the top of my list is NYC and afterwards Chicago, San Francisco, D.C., and Los Angeles would follow. I was initially concerned that if I move to L.A. that I would never get married, or that it would be very difficult. I have a narrow personality and character type I'm attracted to, and I thought that if I move to Los Angeless that it would be difficult to find a professionally driven woman with spunk, intellect, etc. From my brief travels to the land of silicon breasts and countless wannabes (actors, writers, and producers), I simply didn't think I would find a woman I wanted to settle down with. Self-designated monkhood... that's what I would be destined for in LA. (ok, LA lovers and women in LA start sending the hate mail if you want).

By a blessing, I started dating a wonderful woman, so this is not the focus of my post. I was recently enlightened by a good friend on the other side of the gender coin. She moved to LA earlier this year and started to test out the dating waters. The results so far have been amusing to say the least.

THE SLAM
One time she was having a quiet dinner with her date in a respectable restaurant. She thought the evening was progressing nicely when suddenly the guy slams his knife on the dinner table. There was a pause, so she asked him if everything was okay.

He ignored her question and proceeded to boldly proclaim, "Damn girl! You belong at Hooters! You gotta work at Hooters!"

She soon ended the dinner and ignored his calls after that random explosion of raw lust.

THE BET
Another time she was on a date and the discussion led to a bet. I don't remind the topic, but it wasn't a serious or heavy topic at all. The Casanova offers the conditions of the bet. If he's correct, then they both go naked into a hot tub. If he loses, then she gives him a wet kiss. Anton Chekhov would be rolling in his grave.

"Excuse me? No." she replies.

"What?!" shocked that a woman would turn down his fine offer.

"No."

"Yes."

She told me that this went on for a while and that he was very serious about the bet. A little too horny for a first-time date and a little too serious over a stupid bet. This Casanova thought he was too smooth for his own good and got flustered since he saw his ship towards some action sinking.

My friend and I were talking about some of these experiences and discussed the differences between L.A. and NYC. She's was a consultant at Bain & Co. before moving to LA and getting into the production side of the movie world. She's cool, professionally polished, and well-rounded. So I assume she met up with similar types of people in NYC. Now since she's in the open range she is encountering the whole spectrum of men. Ones that she never thought she would meet and those she thought only existed on reality TV shows.

I believe her circle in NYC was mainly comprised of bankers, consultants, and other professionals who tend to be more polished and well-mannered unless you get the geeks gone wild due to their new social status and money. In LA she's open game to all types and it's difficult for her to judge the terrain much less the animals in this wild kingdom by appearance alone.

My other friends in LA don't help to balance this perspective since they have similar complaints. From her experiences, she now believes LA isn't only filled with female bimbos, but male ones as well.

No comments: