Monday, May 26, 2003

GLENBROOK NORTH... TOO MUCH FEAR FACTOR

During the early part of my month long trip to the U.S., I came across news about some violent incident at a high school in suburban Chicago. I quickly realized that it was my high school, Glenbrook North, and the incident was the annual "Powder Puff Football" game. During the course of the following weeks, the news of this high school hazing gone wild was everywhere... CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, random talk shows, etc. My old alma mater which was previously known for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, John Hughes, and a source of inspiration for the teen movies of the 80's (e.g. Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink) had become nationally known for a disgusting and disturbing hazing incident between senior and junior high school girls.

When I attended over a decade ago, for years the annual event was a much more innocent hazing filled with whipped cream and baby powder. I don't know when use of more dangerous and disgusting substances occurred, but I assume it was only in recent years if not this year alone. I also assume recent shows, such as Fear Factor, has a role in influencing and providing ideas to this generation of kids. I wouldn't blame the television shows for this situation. I believe the high school kids have to responsible for their actions if they truly crossed the line and endangered others with their lack of discernment and reason. I'm stating this because I don't know all the details of what occurred.

Another assumption is that there must of been some pent up anger or bitterness between some of these girls for them to take it to this extreme. You get this many times at this annual event and it lets loose some steam, but it should never be carried to this point. It was probably a very immature or passive-aggressive girl who was not able to deal effectively with someone in a normal social environment, so she used this event as a manner to release her pent up emotions. I know these are huge assumptions based on little information, but I'm just guessing based on my observations of human behavior. Either way and for whatever reason, this was just simply stupid.

No comments: